Pagan Books v2.2
in the Database>
Witchvox Chapter: Pagan Books
||Chapter Page Views: 10,246,004
Weiser announces introduction to Aleister Crowley's life & magick|
The Weiser Concise Guide to Aleister Crowley
Author: Richard Kaczynski
Publisher: Weiser Books
Category: magick, thelema, biography, Crowley Level: Beginner
Richard Kaczynski (author) , James Wasserman (editor)
In addition to the fascinating biographical sketch drawn by Richard Kaczynski, author of the classic biography "Perdurabo", this book offers Crowley’s teachings, many in his own words. A carefully chosen series of instructions for concentration, meditation, magick, invocation, even sex magick are included. Crowley’s descriptions of the teaching Orders A:.A:. and OTO are presented, along with the Creed of EGC. In addition, a suggested reading list of Crowley’s “top-eleven” most important books is enhanced by an extensive bibliography for further in-depth research. This is the first and only introductory book that does not pretend to “improve” upon the Master’s writings, but attempts to showcase them into a coherent introduction to his spiritual system.
More mistruth and rumor has circulated about Aleister Crowley than perhaps any other figure in recent history. When the reporter Henry Hall introduced him to readers of the New York World Sunday Magazine, he wrote, "Some said that he was a man of real attainments, others that he was a faker. All agreed that he was extraordinary." Indeed, Crowley was:
* A practicing occultist whose mastery of western magick and eastern mysticism was unsurpassed by any of his contemporaries, and who continues to be an icon for many of today's practicing magicians.
* The founder and prophet of the new religious movement of Thelema, best known by its oft-misunderstood catchphrase, "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law."
* A prolific poet whose Collected Works, by age thirty, filled three volumes, and whose last published work, Olla, was subtitled Sixty Years of Song.
* A maverick mountaineer whose numerous innovations and world records in the sport are acknowledged by even his most vocal critics.
* An adventurer whose exploits in the far east were serialized by Vanity Fair magazine as "A Burmese River."
* An impresario who took the violin troupe, the Ragged Ragtime Girls, on a tour of Russia.
* A British secret agent who marshaled his literary and occult connections to the service of his country, including (reputedly) the invention of the "V for Victory" sign as a magical antidote to the swastika.
* A ranked chess master who could trounce many players without even looking at the chess board.
* A pioneering entheogenic explorer who conducted psychedelic experiments with mescaline.
* Producer and star of The Rites of Eleusis, a series of ritualistic plays featuring an innovative blend of magick, drama, music and poetry.
* One of the most unjustly vilified men in the history of journalism, garnering headlines like "The Wickedest Man in the World" and "A Man We'd Like To Hang."
Crowley openly defied social conventions, challenging people to examine what they really believed, and why they believed it. He confronted blind faith with rational skepticism. Yet he likewise challenged the skeptic with scientific illuminism, a systematic approach to spirituality that he described as "The method of science, the aim of religion."
Author's Notes: *Book release and signing Wednesday, April 1, 2009
from 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm at :
The Crystal Fox
311 Main Street, Laurel, MD 20707
*Book signing and lecture at William Blake Lodge April 10, 2009
from 8 pm - 10 pm
Lecture: The Thoth Tarot in History and Pop Culture
208 South Pulaski Street, Baltimore, MD 21223
Where To Buy: All major retailers, including:
Weiser Antiquarian (signed copies available)
Barnes and Noble
Hot link to --> Pagan Shops in Your Town
Hot link to --> Pagan Shops on the Net
Disclaimer: The Witches' Voice inc does not verify the accuracy of the details stated in this listing, nor do we vouch for the value of the goods or services presented here... As with all contacts and financial dealings in cyberspace, we encourage you to use caution and wisdom in your dealings with strangers.
Political Statements: Any and all personal political opinions expressed in the public listing sections (including, but not restricted to, personals, events, groups, shops, Wren's Nest, etc.) are solely those of the author(s) and do not reflect the opinion of The Witches' Voice, Inc. TWV is a non-profit, non-partisan educational organization.
State/Country flags created by 3dflags.com and are used with permission
Web Site Content (including: text - graphics - html - look & feel)
Copyright 1997-2018 The Witches' Voice Inc. All rights reserved
Note: Authors & Artists retain the copyright for their work(s) on this website.
Unauthorized reproduction without prior permission is a violation of copyright laws.
Website structure, evolution and php coding by Fritz Jung on a Macintosh G5.
Any and all personal political opinions expressed in the public listing sections (including, but not restricted to, personals, events, groups, shops, Wrenâ€™s Nest, etc.) are solely those of the author(s) and do not reflect the opinion of The Witchesâ€™ Voice, Inc. TWV is a nonprofit, nonpartisan educational organization.
Sponsorship: Visit the Witches' Voice Sponsor Page for info on how you
can help support this Community Resource. Donations ARE Tax Deductible.
The Witches' Voice carries a 501(c)(3) certificate and a Federal Tax ID.
Mail Us: The Witches' Voice Inc., P.O. Box 341018, Tampa, Florida 33694-1018 U.S.A.