The opinions posted on the Pagan Perspective pages are those of individuals and are not neccessarily shared or endorsed by the Witches' Voice inc.
Posted: Sep. 8, 2002
||This Page Viewed: 13,031,789
Vox Q Stats|
Times Viewed: 32,767
Lurker/Post Ratio: 585 to 1
Question of the Week: 57 - 9/3/2001
If You Were Stranded Alone On A Deserted Island...
If You Were Stranded Alone On A Deserted Island... - and- while all of your immediate needs for food, water, shelter, fire were being met- you faced the reality that you would not be rescued for several weeks, what ten (10) items would you like to have with you in order to pass the time or save your sanity?
| Reponses: There are 56 responses posted to this question.
|| Reverse Sort
| The Items I Would Require: 1. My Minidisc Player And All My... ||Sep 3rd. at 12:40:42 am UTC|
|Gwydion Canu Bleidd (Knoxville, Tennessee US) ||Age: 32 - Email |
The items I would require:
1. My MiniDisc player and all my favorite music on MDs.
2. A Fender Telecaster with a Trace-Elliott amp.
3. A large-bodied acoustic guitar, six- or twelve-string.
4. A lap dulcimer (can you tell music is very important to me?).
5. A portable DVD player and plenty of DVDs (movies, classic Monty Python, etc.)
6. A good-sized library filled with books by Michael Moorcock, Morgan Llywelyn, Stephen King, and others.
7. A short-wave radio, so that I could at least keep in touch with what's going on in the world.
8. An attractive female Pagan companion.
9. A decent laptop PC, preferably with the latest technology available (1 GHz Pentium III CPU, Windows 2000, 30GB hard drive, and a satellite broadband uplink--hey, it's a deserted island, you really think there's going to be cable or DSL?).
10. A second attractive female Pagan companion. While I enjoy my books and my gadgets, they won't keep me warm at night, and I'm polyamorous anyway. ("I don't really see/Why can't we go on as three?")
| Gee, After Reading Through The Responses I Feel Practical And Boring. Oh... ||Sep 3rd. at 6:04:27 am UTC|
|Zoe (San Luis Obispo, California US) ||Age: 24 |
Gee, after reading through the responses I feel practical and boring. Oh well =)
My ten things would be:
1. large blank notebook
2. pens and pencils
3. my tarot deck
4. a dozen books
5. a big knife
| 1. My Health. (if I Actually Had A Vacation/opportunity Like Wren... ||Sep 3rd. at 8:03:28 am UTC|
|John (New Naumkeag) ||Age: 34 - Email |
1. My Health.
(If I actually had a vacation/opportunity like Wren described, I'd want to be able to enjoy it/use it.)
2. My Toiletries / Medicines.
(Since I would have my health, I wouldn't want to lose it by failing to do my medical/dental maintenance.)
3, 4, 5, 6. My Four Main Books.
(The Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita, the Dharmapada, and the Old Farmer's Almanac.)
7. My Swiss Army Knife.
(a *very* versatile tool)
8. My Journal.
(lots of blank paper and lots of non-smearing ink in the pen)
9. A Two-Way, Multi-Band Radio.
(Solitude can be wonderful; so too can be communication. This radio, of course, would be one of those models that have a crank which, by turning it, can recharge the unit: expensive but worth it under these circumstances.)
10. My Tobacco.
(Ok, maybe it's not the most healthy thing on earth, but it would help me save my sanity.)
| At The Risk Of Being Slightly Practical, Here Goes My List: 1... ||Sep 3rd. at 10:24:54 am UTC|
|Kalika (Kingsport, Tennessee US) ||Age: 19 |
At the risk of being slightly practical, here goes my list:
1.) Shampoo/Conditioner -- i swear, it's not just a girl thing!
2.) My boyfriend's "survival athame" -- 8 inch blade w/a compass in the hilt (which screws off and holds waterproof matches and other nifty things).
3.) My telescope
4.) Toilet paper -- leaves just won't do the trick.
5.) My lil' statue of Saraswati
6.) At least one, and preferably all of my notebooks (now numbering 16). Not that i'd finish any story that i started, but it's the intention that counts, right?
7.) Pens n stuff to go along with the notebook. (though i could prolly write with charred sticks if it really came to that)
9.) A year-long supply of doublemint gum
10.) The entire Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. If that won't keep me entertained for several weeks, i don't know what will!
There's my list, enjoy!
| I'm A Backpacker, Sometimes A Better Backpacker Than Pagan, So My List... ||Sep 3rd. at 11:30:35 am UTC|
|Chronarchy (Columbus, Ohio US) ||Age: 21 - Email |
I'm a backpacker, sometimes a better backpacker than Pagan, so my list doesn't look much like the others here:
1: My hiking boots
2: My sleeping bag
3: My plastic tarp
4: One of my pocket knives
5: A cooking pot (doubles as a well for an altar)
6: Duct tape
7: A Nalgene watter bottle
8: A pen
9: A large, blank notebook
10: One pair wool hiking socks.
Maybe I'm too practical, but I can't imagine needing anything else. No music, no books, no people; just me and Nature. There is no better way to be a Pagan.
| The Only Thing I Would Want Would Be A Toothbrush! (if Food... ||Sep 3rd. at 11:43:51 am UTC|
|Penrath (Austin, Texas US) ||Age: 32 |
The only thing I would want would be a toothbrush! (If food, fire, water and shelter were not an issue!) This(to me) would be an excellent time for reflection and getting closer with myself, with nature and with the God and Goddess. Revel in the beauty of the sunset, the beauty of the night sky being unhampered by the lights of surrounding cities, the smell of fresh morning breeze as the sun rose again.
| 1. A Large Stack Of Books, Which Would Not Include Robinson Crusoe... ||Sep 3rd. at 2:04:10 pm UTC|
|Ruby Moonstone (Camp Douglas , Wisconsin US) ||Age: 39 - Email |
1. A large stack of books, which would NOT include Robinson Crusoe
2. A music source
3. A big flashlight
4. Plenty of batteries
6. Some good hiking shoes to explore the Deserted Island Paradise
7. Writing materials
8. A laptop computer in good working order
9. A convenient box of pagan ritual tools in order to have a Deserted Island Paradise Full Moon ritual, which would be pretty awesome, you have to admit
10. An incredibly handsome and spiritually aware Polynesian Man Friday, who would magically appear on the beach one day and helpfully instruct me in all the various rituals of the lovely and pleasure-loving peoples of the surrounding islands.
Why go home? :-)
| Hey All! I"m Back From My Summer Job And Ready To... ||Sep 3rd. at 4:59:25 pm UTC|
|Whitefeather and Ash (soo ontario, Ontario CA) ||Age: 17 |
hey all! I"m back from my summer job and ready to join in the discussions! I'll have two lists, one for myself, and a friend.
My Buddist boyfriend Christopher :)
some source of music
a heavy blanket
Roger (her boyfriend)
ferret named Alan
phantom calipso water cleansing machine (???)
swiss army knife
bbq and propane
seasonings for caught food
laptop with lots of extra batteries
maxim mags and playgirls ;)
| I'd Bring My Boombox, So I Could Pick Up Radio And Listen... ||Sep 3rd. at 8:03:40 pm UTC|
|Asta (Kailua-Kona, Hawaii US) ||Age: 16 - Email |
I'd bring my boombox, so I could pick up radio and listen to music.
A journal big enough to write in, unruled so I could draw.
A set of crayons.
My personal library. (Maybe that doesn't count, so I'll count each book I would bring as one.)
-The Best of James Herriot
-Three wiccan books and my book of Shadows
My scrap bag with all my doll-making stuff.
| 1. My Husband - I Mean Really, What Better Way To Pass The... ||Sep 3rd. at 10:48:31 pm UTC|
|Marea (Niagara Falls, Ontario CA) ||Age: 30 - Email |
1. My husband - I mean really, what better way to pass the time?
2. My cats - especially my oldest one who suffers from arthritis and could
use some time in a big patch of sun
3. My beloved and battered copies of the Lord of the Rings and Watership Down
4. A toothbrush. Essential.
5. My needleworking frame and some good linen and flosses.
6. Good shoes.
7. AfterBite and antihistamine cream for insects and skinn irritations.
8. A hatchet.
9. Cards - a deck each of playing cards and tarot
10. A drum.
| 1) My Cat B/c We're The Only Ones That Can Take... ||Sep 4th. at 8:34:09 am UTC|
|Ciarrai (Somewhere in Somerset County, New Jersey US) ||Age: 34 - Email |
(1) My cat b/c we're the only ones that can take care of each other (and I presume that cat food would fall under the food category of the immediate needs provided to me).
(2) A good bar of soap that I could use for my hair & body.
(3) A good moisturizer w/ sunscreen that I could use on my face and body.
(7) Writing Paper
(9) Portable CD Player
(10) A good home burned box set of CDs of my choice to include the Stones, the Doors, Zep, Floyd, Mozart, and a montage of the silliest "one hit wonders" of the 80s.
| Journal Drawing Pad And Pencils String Soap A Picture Of My Children... ||Sep 4th. at 8:45:09 am UTC|
|Vestas (Newark, Ohio US) ||Age: 39 |
drawing pad and pencils
a picture of my children
A set of classic books I always mean't to read
My book of herbs of the world
Web Site Content (including: text - graphics - html - look & feel)
Copyright 1997-2016 The Witches' Voice Inc. All rights reserved
Note: Authors & Artists retain the copyright for their work(s) on this website.
Unauthorized reproduction without prior permission is a violation of copyright laws.
Website structure, evolution and php coding by Fritz Jung on a Macintosh G5.
Any and all personal political opinions expressed in the public listing sections (including, but not restricted to, personals, events, groups, shops, Wrenâ€™s Nest, etc.) are solely those of the author(s) and do not reflect the opinion of The Witchesâ€™ Voice, Inc. TWV is a nonprofit, nonpartisan educational organization.
Sponsorship: Visit the Witches' Voice Sponsor Page for info on how you
can help support this Community Resource. Donations ARE Tax Deductible.
The Witches' Voice carries a 501(c)(3) certificate and a Federal Tax ID.
Mail Us: The Witches' Voice Inc., P.O. Box 341018, Tampa, Florida 33694-1018 U.S.A.