Survey Results: Are YOU out of the Broom Closet?|
Oh - The Broom Closet! A term which has been coined by the Pagan community to describe a state of "not being public" about one's choice of religious beliefs. Is it just a stance we may choose to take with the general public-or are some Pagans still reluctant to tell even their closest friends and relatives? What factors make up the choice to be either "in" or 'out"?|
Many Pagans ARE open about their beliefs. Can what they may have learned from the experience help others to also take that step? Or are there situations that still exist in this country, founded on the premise of religious freedom for all, that makes being openly Pagan a very daunting- and perhaps dangerous- challenge?
822 Witches, Wiccans or Pagans responded to the questions related to "Are YOU out of the Broom Closet"?
1. Are You:
|Out to some and not others?||49%||406|
|Depends on the situation?||19%||155|
|Out in private, but not in public?||4%||36|
2. Are you out of the Broom Closet to your Friends?
3. Are you out of the Broom Closet to your Immediate family?
4. Are you out of the Broom Closet to your Extended family?
5. Are you out of the Broom Closet to your Neighbors?
6. Are you out of the Broom Closet to your Co-workers?
7. Are you out of the Broom Closet to your Employer/School?
8. Are you out of the Broom Closet to your Landlord?
9. Are you out of the Broom Closet to your City/Town officials?
10. Are you out of the Broom Closet to your Child Welfare services?
11. I am out of the Broom Closet to Just about everyone?
12. I am out of the Broom Closet to No one?
13. Before you "came out" (or if you are still "in"), what concerned you MOST? Fear of:
|Loss of family support?||25%||206|
|Was not concerned||21%||171|
|Physical harassment or threats?||16%||132|
|Loss of job or discrimination on the job?||13%||103|
|Child custody issues?||7%||55|
|Loss of friendships?||6%||51|
|Word 'getting around"?||5%||44|
|Discrimination from neighbors?||3%||26|
|Harassment from city/town officials?||2%||17|
|Loss of residence?||1%||11|
14. If you are 'out", how long has it been since that "first time"?
|Not yet out||23%||193|
|Three to Five years?||16%||130|
|Over five years?||14%||118|
|One to two years?||14%||112|
|Six months to one year?||11%||90|
|Always been out?||11%||90|
|Under six months?||1%||83|
15. If you are "in", how long do you think it will be before you will be comfortable with 'coming out"?
|I AM out!||59%||483|
|May never come out to everyone?||18%||145|
|Just not sure.||12%||98|
|Maybe this year?||5%||37|
|Planning to do so in the next six months?||3%||21|
|Longer than one year?||02%||19|
|May never come out||1%||11|
16. Did you come out:
|By your own declaration?||56%||463|
|Always been out.||13%||108|
|Some other way?||5%||39|
|Someone found out and 'spread the word"?||2%||20|
17. Which of the following best describes where you live?
|The "Bible belt"||22%||184|
|Open to all faiths||7%||59|
|Predominantly one faith||6%||51|
|Out in "the sticks"||4%||35|
18. Your area has:
|It's not a "community", but there are other Pagans||36%||296|
|No other Pagans that I know of.||18%||148|
|A large Public Pagan community.||13%||109|
|A small Public Pagan community.||13%||104|
|A small Private Pagan community.||10%||84|
|A large Private Pagan community.||9%||73|
19. Whether you are out or in, are you happy with your current situation?
|Most of the time.||26%||210|
|I want to come out, but am still afraid to do so||13%||105|
|I regret coming out.||<1%||5|
|I regret not coming out.||<1%||3|
Web Site Content (including: text - graphics - html - look & feel)
Copyright 1997-2014 The Witches' Voice Inc. All rights reserved
Note: Authors & Artists retain the copyright for their work(s) on this website.
Unauthorized reproduction without prior permission is a violation of copyright laws.
Website structure, evolution and php coding by Fritz Jung on a Macintosh G5.
Any and all personal political opinions expressed in the public listing sections (including, but not restricted to, personals, events, groups, shops, Wren’s Nest, etc.) are solely those of the author(s) and do not reflect the opinion of The Witches’ Voice, Inc. TWV is a nonprofit, nonpartisan educational organization.
Sponsorship: Visit the Witches' Voice Sponsor Page for info on how you
can help support this Community Resource. Donations ARE Tax Deductible.
The Witches' Voice carries a 501(c)(3) certificate and a Federal Tax ID.
Mail Us: The Witches' Voice Inc., P.O. Box 341018, Tampa, Florida 33694-1018 U.S.A.