Old Teen Essays
NOTE: The essay on this page contains the writings and opinions of the listed author(s) and is not necessarily shared or endorsed by the Witches' Voice inc.
The Witches' Voice does not verify or attest to the historical accuracy contained in the content of this essay.
All WitchVox essays contain a valid email address, feel free to send your comments, thoughts or concerns directly to the listed author(s).
Article ID: 4638
Age Group: Adult
Posted: August 26th. 2002
Jack Chick 
by Kerr Cuhulain
Jack Chick founded Chick Publications, in Chino, California, 37 years ago. Chick Publications now calls Ontario, California, it's home. Jack Chick is without a doubt one of the most ardent disseminators of Satanic myths. Chick is a talented comic artist, prolific writer and extremist fundamentalist Christian. Chick Publications is best known for its comic book style tracts. Chick publishes mini (tract) comics, full sized comics, books by individuals such as "Dr Brown" and Bill Schnoebelen and a newsletter called "The Battle Cry." Chick's publications are recommended as a resource by organizations such as the National Information Network, the Religion Analysis Service, Cultivate Ministries, Christian author Jerry Johnston and Frontline Ministries (all of these will be discussed later in this series).
Chick seems to specialize in gathering together con artists from all over and either publishing their works or using them as resources for his own. The list of fraudulent anti-Pagan "experts" that Chick supports includes John Todd (AKA Lance Collins), "Dr Rebecca Brown" (AKA Ruth Bailey) and her associate Edna Elaine Moses and Bill Schnoebelen. Chick is the publisher of Bill Schnoebelen's books Wicca: Satan's Little White Lie (which we discussed earlier in this series), Lucifer Dethroned, and Blood on the Doorposts: An Advanced Course in Spiritual Warfare.
Chick relies upon the following Christian organizations for information:
- Watchman's Ministry, based in Dallas (for anti-Mormon information).
- Institute of Contemporary Christianity of Oakland, New Jersey (for anti-"Armstrongism" and anti-Jehovah's Witness information).
- Dr. A. R. Rivera: An ex Jesuit who also provides the material for four of Chick's comics and supplies much of his anti Catholic/Jesuit material.
Chick's publications are crammed full of biblical quotations and references. The following list of books that Chick uses as resources reveals much about his fundamentalist Christian beliefs:
The more incredible claims made by Jack Chick in his numerous publications can be summed up as follows:
- The Two Babylons, Alexander Hislop, Loiseau Bros, Neptune, NJ. Chick seems to use Hislop's book more than any other in his footnotes.
- The Late Great Planet Earth, Hal Lindsey, Zondervan Publishing House (Bantam Books).
- The Illegal Trials of Jesus, Carl Wingo, Christian Truth and Victory Publications.
- Noah's Ark: Fact or Fable? V.M. Cummings, Creation Science Research Center.
- Get All Excited, Jesus is Coming Soon, Dr Charles R Taylor.
- Jehovah's Witnesses, Salem Kirban, Moody Press (Chick uses this as a source of anti-Jehovah's Witness stories).
- Science of Today and the Problems of Genesis, Patrick O'Connell, Christian Book Club of America.
- Evolution and Faith, Dr Bolton Davidchester, The Presbyterian & Reformed Publishing Co.
- What is The Scientific Certainty of Evolution, Scientific Representations, PO Box 2384, Culver City, CA, 90230.
- Creation: Acts, Facts, Impacts 1974, Institute for Creation Research, San Diego, CA.
- The Creation Explanation, Kofahl and Seagraves, Harold Shaw Publisher.
- The Vatican controls international banking through the Jesuits and a secret society that he calls the "Illuminati."
- The Vatican financed the Nazi party in post World War 1 Germany and the communist revolution in Russia.
- That Jesuit priests coached Karl Marx and Frederick Engels in writing "the Communist Manifesto".
- That the Jesuits were behind the assassination of Abraham Lincoln.
- That the book Mein Kampf was written by a Jesuit priest, not Adolf Hitler.
- That all religions besides Chick's version of fundamentalist Christianity are forms of "Baal worship."
- That the Russians will invade Israel and start World War III, which Chick figures will be the Armageddon of Biblical prophecy.
One really good example of Chick's bizarre claims can be found in his comic book Sabotage, which I will describe in more detail later. In Sabotage, Chick states that the entrance to Heaven can be found in the Orion Nebula. Chick goes on to day:
"Its a heavenly cavern so gigantic and brilliantly beautiful that words cannot describe it. It was found by gigantic lenses plus long exposures of photographic plates. Astronomers agree its huge opening is more than 16 trillion miles in diameter... Its exquisite beauty and luminous colours are unlike anything on this earth. Professor Learkin at Mt Lowe observatory fives us the following description: 'for the depths of the Orion Nebula appear like torn and twisted objects and river masses of shining glass, irregular pillars, columns of stalactites in glittering splendor and stalagmites from the clear walls of ivory and pearl, studded with millions of diamonds and shining stars'... This could well be the entrance into the glory of Heaven, that we'll pass through at the Rapture".(1)
Chick apparently got the information for this from "the Daily Review-Editor's Mailbag 20 Feb 70."(2) Chick does not identify where this newspaper originates. Obviously Chick takes Learkin's description literally.
Chick publishes a newsletter: "Battle Cry." It is obvious from the title that Chick is a supporter of the fundamentalist concept of spiritual warfare. "Battle Cry" serves as a platform for Chick to promote his publications and ideas. "Battle Cry" recently went on line. The caption under the title on the front page of "Battle Cry" is Galatians 4:16 and reveals Chick's paranoia: "Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?"
In "Battle Cry," Chick frequently attacks Wiccans. For example, the May 1990 issue included several articles about Bill Schnoebelen and his book Wicca: Satan's Little White Lie. You will recall that I discussed the inaccurate nature of Schnoebelen's claims in an earlier article. In this issue of "Battle Cry" Chick also featured two articles: "The Universal Goddess: Satan's World-Wide Counterfeit" and "New Age Seer Says Mary is Isis."(3) The "new age seer" referred to here is Earlyne Chaney, while the first article twists the works of archaeologist Marija Gimbutas, neither of whom are Wiccans. Both articles attempt to link Wicca, the New Age and the Catholic Church together as part of a supposed Satanic conspiracy masquerading as an "earth mother religion". Chick makes the following remarks:
- "The goddess is a universal pagan idol. As soon as mankind rebelled against the Creator, Satan infected this distortion into their worship."(4)
- "The powerful emotions which are stirred by this mother image have been increasingly manipulated to enlarge the borders of hell".(5)
- "1 Corinthians 10 tells us that behind every idol is a devil (demon). As Bible believers we can only heartily agree that behind Isis and the 'Virgin Mary' is the 'same great soul'-but that soul is one of the supreme demonic impostors in Lucifer's hierarchy."(6)
- "The New Age movement comprehensively blends all of Satan's major lies. It combines evolution, reincarnation, divination, spiritism, priestcraft and socialism".(7)
- "Hislop shows the origin, how Satan took the worship of the Eternal Father, Jehovah and turned it upside down to worship the 'Mother Goddess' instead."(8)
One certainly gets the impression that Chick is anti-feminist here. The Hislop referred to in this case is Alexander Hislop. I mentioned that Hislop is the author of the highly inaccurate and hysterical anti-Catholic book, The Two Babylons, earlier in this article. Hislop's book is frequently quoted by disseminators of the Satanic Conspiracy myth. Jack Chick has based many of his arguments on Hislop's book and is simply paraphrasing Hislop's nonsense here.
In a May 1999 "Battle Cry" article, "Wicca: Seduction of the Innocents," Chick claims that "white witchcraft" is a doorway to Satan's kingdom. Chick lists Silver Ravenwolf's book Teen Witch as a "cookbook of mystical exercises" that can be used to place curses on people you don't like. "Got a bad bus driver?" Chick asks, "Cast a spell on him."(9) Chick complains that the number of New Age authors and publishers is increasing and states: "While these authors claim no connection to Satanism, ex-Wiccan William Schnoebelen says, 'Wicca is one of the more seductive deceptions that Satan has come up with." The article then turns into an advertisement for Schnoebelen's books Wicca and Lucifer Dethroned, both published by Chick.
In the November 2000 issue of Battle Cry, we find the article "Mayor Discovered 'Minister' Would Pray to the Wrong God." This begins by describing how Bryan Lankford, a Wiccan minister of the Order of the Inner Circle, wished to open a Dallas city council meeting but was prevented by the mayor, Ron Kirk. Chick then comments that the Pagan Federation in Britain receives 100 information requests per month. This then turns into another ad for Schnoebelen's book Wicca: Satan's Little White Lie.
(Continued... Click HERE for page II)
| ABOUT... |
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Bio: Kerr Cuhulain the author of this article, is known to the mundane world as Detective Constable Charles Ennis. Ennis, a former child abuse investigator, is the author of several articles on child abuse investigation that appeared in Law & Order Magazine. Better known to the Pagan community by his Wiccan name, Kerr Cuhulain, Ennis was the first Wiccan police officer to go public about his beliefs 28 years ago. Kerr is now the Preceptor General of Officers of Avalon. Kerr went on to write four books: The Law Enforcement Guide to Wicca (Horned Owl Publishing), Wiccan Warrior and Full Contact Magick: A Book of Shadows for the Wiccan Warrior. (Llewellyn Publications), as well as a book based on this series: Witch Hunts: Out of the Broom Closet (Spiral Publishing).
Email Kerr: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Articles: Kerr Cuhulain has posted 182 additional articles- View them?
Other Listings: To view ALL of my listings: Click HERE
Email Me... (Yes! I have opted to receive invites to Pagan events, groups, and commercial sales)
Web Site Content (including: text - graphics - html - look & feel)
Copyright 1997-2014 The Witches' Voice Inc. All rights reserved
Note: Authors & Artists retain the copyright for their work(s) on this website.
Unauthorized reproduction without prior permission is a violation of copyright laws.
Website structure, evolution and php coding by Fritz Jung on a Macintosh G5.
Any and all personal political opinions expressed in the public listing sections (including, but not restricted to, personals, events, groups, shops, Wren’s Nest, etc.) are solely those of the author(s) and do not reflect the opinion of The Witches’ Voice, Inc. TWV is a nonprofit, nonpartisan educational organization.
Sponsorship: Visit the Witches' Voice Sponsor Page for info on how you
can help support this Community Resource. Donations ARE Tax Deductible.
The Witches' Voice carries a 501(c)(3) certificate and a Federal Tax ID.
Mail Us: The Witches' Voice Inc., P.O. Box 341018, Tampa, Florida 33694-1018 U.S.A.
of The World