Weekly Update: 5/22/2000|
Author: Witchvox Central
Posted: May 22nd. 2000
Times Viewed: 4,054
These past 10 days have been filled with both darkness and light. It makes us crazy that we aren't back 100% but we've spent every waking hour trying to find a way. Thanks to your support and inspiration we HAVE found a way! We will be back in full force in just a few days. YOU emailed us with hosting options, YOU lit candles, YOU worked solitary and group magick and some of you sent financial aid. This has been a week of lessons. You have once again taught us much.
This will be our last update with a mere shell of WitchVox behind it. All 2,000 pages of the Witches' Voice will be back as soon as the Internet Gods point witchvox.com to our new server. This could take anywhere from 18 hours to a week.
This past week rendered over 1,100 pieces of email (just related to our hosting situation), countless phone calls and lots of scheming on the part of the Neo-Pagan community. Many issues and questions were presented and due to the fact that it would be impossible for us to answer all of this email we will address a few of them here.
- Web Hosting Options: Dozens of you offered some wonderful hosting options and we have filed the ones that fit our needs just in case this ever comes up again. A reality check WAS that bandwidth (traffic) really IS becoming a commodity. Web hosting companies that didn't use to give bandwidth much thought are looking at who is costing THEM money and changing their rates accordingly. We did check out over 30 prospective hosting plans that did offer "unlimited traffic"... Not surprisingly our traffic didn't fit into most of the "unlimited bandwidth" plans. Many ISPs are better clarifying what they mean by "unlimited".
- Why we chose Drak.net: Although money was a primary concern it wasn't the only reason we chose this IPP (internet presence provider). Our decision to go with Drak.net was based on many factors including price. We have known Drak.net's owner, Lhiannon, for 4 years to be one of the true community givers both on and off the net. She cares with a passion and is as hard working and consistent as they come. It IS worth noting that this was a business decision first and foremost... There is no contract or obligation involved for either parties. Witchvox has no plans to advertise or enter into any commerical co-venturing with Drak.net.
Drak.net is a full service internet presence provider. If you are at Tripod or Geocities and are looking for a Banner FREE alternative check out Drak.net or many of the other "Pagan-Friendly" web-hosting services in our Pagan Links Section
- Splitting up WitchVox: Some of you suggested that we consider breaking this site up into many pieces in an effort to get our monthly charge down. Although this was a heartwarming suggestion it is simply not practical.
|Advertisting: There always seems to be a buzz about this topic and this past week it was a concern of many of you. Some of you wanted us to do it, some didn't care and many of you thanked us profusely for NOT going there. We say again, WitchVox is a site created BY the people, WITH people and FOR the people, no illusions!. To us it's simple: Why DO a community site that isn't supported by the community itself? If we didn't believe this true, we wouldn't be doing it. We have stated in the past that when someone or some group in the community is in need the community WILL be there.|
You were there for us this week and we will never forget it! Thank YOU!
NOTE: We are not against advertising or Pagans making money, in fact Wren and I have 50 years of retailing and marketing between us. Since day one WitchVox has promoted and celebrated Pagan Shops both on and off line as well as those in the community that create original crafts, music, books, and festivals and events. We encourage you to patronize the Pagan merchants and Artists in our extensive Pagan links section as well as considering attending any of the many wonderful Festivals and Events that will be happening this year.
So for the record: WitchVox has no desire to accept paid advertising or to work any "side deals"!
- Our choice on which pages TO leave up: To our surprise, many of the emails did find it inspiring that we choose to keep up the networking section and Wren's Nest and not our own words... We hadn't given this much thought actually, these sections seemed the only practical choice.
- Creative Community Support: Some of you have noted that you are working with your local groups to help us via sponsorship. Thank YOU for this support. This week we received the email from Misti Anslin Tucker stating that she is planning "a charity auction to help finance the changes needed at The Witches Voice". For more information surf to her Egroups Page.
- Financial donations: WOW! Some of you have decided to become sponsors this past week. This was VERY inspiring and this needed cash puts us back on secure ground. A common thread in many of the pledges was that "all we had to do was ask". The Sponsors of the Witches' Voice help us to deliver this site to literally millions of visitors for FREE. If you can't afford a financial pledge but do come here often, do us a favor and email a sponsor in your state and thank them. WE can't thank them enough.
|Web Site NOTES: Until the Internet Gods do the switch, the only pages accessible at WitchVox will be the ones listed on the side bar to your left. Our current host is Cetlink.net and we can't afford to generate our usual traffic until the move. Available pages include all 800 of our networking pages (Pagans, Events, Groups, Shops and thousands of Pagan Web Sites), all of our submission forms and Wren's Nest complete. Wren's Nest News has been permanently moved to be part of www.witchvox.com. So if you have the 'Nest bookmarked, kindly update it to http://www.witchvox.com/xwrensnest.html. NOTE: Sadly, if you try to "hit" any pages other than the ones mentioned above you will receive one of those ugly "404-file not found" errors. |
We trust that WitchVox will be back 100% sometime this week. You will know this when you hit our front page (http://www.witchvox.com) and see the familiar picture of the week.
This Thursday Wren and I will be flying out to the Heartland Spiritual Gathering just north of Kansas City, Kansas at breath-taking Camp Gaea. We are thrilled to once again have the opportunity to hug friends both old and new. Expect a full report upon our return.
Our heartfelt thanks go out to so many of you that believe in this mission... You have defied the odds and made sure that this Voice stays alive. You ARE indeed the Witches' Voice.
In Your Service,
Wren, Fritz, Peg, Dio and Christina
The Witches' Voice
Year 2000 - May 22nd.
Location: Clearwater¼, Florida
Other Articles: Witchvox Central has posted 407 additional articles- View them?
Other Listings: To view ALL of my listings: Click HERE
Email Witchvox Central... (No, I have NOT opted to receive Pagan Invites! Please do NOT send me anonymous invites to groups, sales and events.)
Web Site Content (including: text - graphics - html - look & feel)
Copyright 1997-2013 The Witches' Voice Inc. All rights reserved
Note: Authors & Artists retain the copyright for their work(s) on this website.
Unauthorized reproduction without prior permission is a violation of copyright laws.
Website structure, evolution and php coding by Fritz Jung on a Macintosh G5.
Any and all personal political opinions expressed in the public listing sections (including, but not restricted to, personals, events, groups, shops, Wrenâ€™s Nest, etc.) are solely those of the author(s) and do not reflect the opinion of The Witchesâ€™ Voice, Inc. TWV is a nonprofit, nonpartisan educational organization.
Sponsorship: Visit the Witches' Voice Sponsor Page for info on how you
can help support this Community Resource. Donations ARE Tax Deductible.
The Witches' Voice carries a 501(c)(3) certificate and a Federal Tax ID.
Mail Us: The Witches' Voice Inc., P.O. Box 341018, Tampa, Florida 33694-1018 U.S.A.
of The World
NOTE: The essay on this page contains the writings and opinions of the listed author(s) and is not necessarily shared or endorsed by the Witches' Voice inc.
The Witches' Voice does not verify or attest to the historical accuracy contained in the content of this essay.
All WitchVox essays contain a valid email address, feel free to send your comments, thoughts or concerns directly to the listed author(s).