An Easy Meditation Technique
Article ID: 13567
Age Group: Adult
Days Up: 2,874
Times Read: 7,463
RSS Views: 14,754
Author: Alfred Willowhawk, DMsc, RMT, CTM, Shaman [a WitchVox Sponsor]
Posted: December 6th. 2009
Times Viewed: 7,463
In order to learn any “Meditation Technique”, let us first define the term. According to Wikipedia, Meditation is a mental discipline by which one attempts to get beyond the reflexive, "thinking" mind into a deeper state of relaxation or awareness. Meditation often involves turning attention to a single point of reference... that may emphasize different goals -- from achievement of a higher state of consciousness, to greater focus, creativity or self-awareness, or simply a more relaxed and peaceful frame of mind. Giving this sense of relaxation and peace, meditation ultimately leads people to find peace within themselves.
The word ‘discipline’ can be unsettling if not downright scary to individuals who are just beginning to choose to utilize this great tool. Not to worry. This is not the military or school. Discipline in this usage is a “practice” or 'thing that one does with purpose.
The Practice of Meditation
Individuals in all parts of the globe have utilized this practice. It is beneficial for individuals of at any level of their spiritual or religious life. It is a great technique for relaxation, and general health. Like anything that one desires to do, it takes concentration and persistence to get the maximum benefit. This being said, individuals who begin with the greatest intentions can become frustrated, angry, and hurt, as they do not seem to be “doing it right.
Not to worry, this technique is easy, and EVERYONE can see positive results. Just be patient. Do not expect to receive incredible visuals right away.
Many individuals, with practice, do receive visuals and can "journey" to different places while meditating. One such example, though fiction is Gerald Gardner's book, A Goddess Arrives. The protagonist in this book uses a small bronze snail to "trigger" himself into an altered state of consciousness, albeit, inadvertently.
Many individuals, pagan and non pagan alike, utilize special devices to assist them in reaching a meditative state. Drums, bells, rattles, chants, and dance are just a few of the techniques individuals use to reach a meditative state.
In some groups, dancing, scourging, and singing are a regular part of rituals in order to assist the High Priestess and High Priest reach the necessary meditative state to help facilitate the actual magical working they are gathering to accomplish.
This article does NOT require any special techniques… just you, some quiet, and the intention to meditate.
There are many sites where you can obtain help with meditation. One such site is The Meditation Handbook by Christopher Calder Another great site for Buddhist meditation is: How to Meditate (see links at the end of this article)
Expectations and Actuality
Your expectations are where everything begins and ends. If you expect to be very successful immediately, and you are not, then see above. So, the first instruction is to set realistic goals.
While some individuals may feel tremendous results when they first start meditating, others are disappointed. It is all up to you. If you have great difficulty concentrating, staying focused, or generally staying on task, then in the beginning you will experience all these same things when starting a meditation practice.
So, be real. "Baby steps" is the answer. Set realistic goals. Five minutes of good silence in your head is great progress for a beginner. If you are the type of person who has the ability to concentrate on one task -- even if the house is on fire -- then set a goal at fifteen minutes of sitting still or longer if you feel you can realistically perform this action.
One Easy Technique
OK, so now that you have read some information on meditation, here is the technique that I use with my clients and myself.
1. Find a quiet place where you will not be disturbed.
2. Turn off your cell phone.
3. Wear comfortable clothing.
4. Play some soft NON-vocal music or nature sounds.
5. Close your eyes.
6. Look at the after image behind your eyelids.
7. Take and hold a big breath.
1. Place all your thoughts, anxieties, stress, into this breath while holding it in.
8. Release the breath.
9. Take and hold another big breath while visualizing a clear or white light coming in with the breath. This is a POSITIVE calming energy.
10. Release this breath.
11. Take and hold a third breath while visualizing a pure white or gold light coming in at the same time.
12. Place your being-ness into this energy.
13. Imagine this energy going throughout your entire body.
14. Send this energy out with your consciousness through your crown and out of your body.
15. Exhale and breathe normally.
16. Send your consciousness out to space.
17. Notice the house below you, then the entire area.
18. Continue extending your consciousness into the sky until you can visualize the curvature of the earth.
19. Picture yourself arching your back and looking up.
20. See a spiral of light with a black circle in the center.
21. Extend yourself into the center black circle – remember you are perfectly safe.
22. As you enter the center of the spiral, it is warm and inviting.
23. As you extend into the center of the spiral, it becomes a roller coaster type movement, going down and to the left.
24. Spiraling lower and lower at a safe speed.
25. After a time, notice a light at the end of the tunnel.
26. You get closer and closer to it.
27. Soon, you realize it is an opening or door.
28. You stop at the door. The doorway has a gold frame. Notice the details.
29. Look out onto a peaceful meadow, see the flowers, and smell the grass, trees, and ground.
30. Step out to the meadow, sit down and feel the sunshine on your body.
31. After a time, you get up, stretch, and feel refreshed.
32. Notice that there is a Silver Door in the distance.
33. Walk toward it. When you get there, look back and know that you can return here at any time.
34. Step through the door, and find yourself back in your own body.
Some final thoughts:
This technique is very effective, do this for several days and weeks. After a while, you will find that you can stay in the meadow longer and longer. It serves as a good beginning technique that will serve you well in all your endeavors.
A Goddess Arrives, Gerald Gardner, Godolphin House, 1997
Copyright: All Rights Reserved by the Author. You MAY reprint with PROPER credit given to the Author
Alfred Willowhawk, DMsc, RMT, CTM, Shaman
Location: West Plains, Missouri
Author's Profile: To learn more about Alfred Willowhawk, DMsc, RMT, CTM, Shaman - Click HERE
Other Articles: Alfred Willowhawk, DMsc, RMT, CTM, Shaman has posted 18 additional articles- View them?
Other Listings: To view ALL of my listings: Click HERE
Email Alfred Willowhawk, DMsc, RMT, CTM, Shaman... (Yes! I have opted to receive invites to Pagan events, groups, and commercial sales)
Web Site Content (including: text - graphics - html - look & feel)
Copyright 1997-2017 The Witches' Voice Inc. All rights reserved
Note: Authors & Artists retain the copyright for their work(s) on this website.
Unauthorized reproduction without prior permission is a violation of copyright laws.
Website structure, evolution and php coding by Fritz Jung on a Macintosh G5.
Any and all personal political opinions expressed in the public listing sections (including, but not restricted to, personals, events, groups, shops, Wrenâ€™s Nest, etc.) are solely those of the author(s) and do not reflect the opinion of The Witchesâ€™ Voice, Inc. TWV is a nonprofit, nonpartisan educational organization.
Sponsorship: Visit the Witches' Voice Sponsor Page for info on how you
can help support this Community Resource. Donations ARE Tax Deductible.
The Witches' Voice carries a 501(c)(3) certificate and a Federal Tax ID.
Mail Us: The Witches' Voice Inc., P.O. Box 341018, Tampa, Florida 33694-1018 U.S.A.
of The World
NOTE: The essay on this page contains the writings and opinions of the listed author(s) and is not necessarily shared or endorsed by the Witches' Voice inc.
The Witches' Voice does not verify or attest to the historical accuracy contained in the content of this essay.
All WitchVox essays contain a valid email address, feel free to send your comments, thoughts or concerns directly to the listed author(s).