Articles/Essays From Pagans
May 19th. 2013 ...
The Role of Identity in Magic
Talking Trash? It's a Dirty Subject but Waste Happens.
My Wiccan Journey
13 Keys: The Victory of Netzach
May 12th. 2013 ...
Pagan Studies I: How Should We Define Modern Paganism?
The Third Path
Nothing Special... Part Two
May 5th. 2013 ...
The Value of Multicultural Awareness
Put Your Back Into It (Our Lady of the Sacred Honey Badger)
Moon Musings, Planetary Preponderances and Red Lipped Bat Fish
April 28th. 2013 ...
Lessons from the Lessers: Iris
April 21st. 2013 ...
Taken By The Goddess: The Crescent Moon Tattoo
The Gods/Being Godbothered
To Be A Witch
The Archetypes are Gods: Re-godding the Archetypes
April 14th. 2013 ...
On The Inclusion of Children
'Wand Fun' With Grandson
Lessons from a Baby
Lessons of Freedom: On Divinity and Healing
April 7th. 2013 ...
Out of the Broom Closet... Sorta
A Journey Through the Witches Tarot
History and Science Behind Numerology
March 31st. 2013 ...
What is the Magickal Self?
Ethics and Numerology
March 24th. 2013 ...
Keystones of the Sacred Land
March 17th. 2013 ...
Why Some Pagans and Witches Still Hide
Witch Heritage 101: What Happens When Witch Haters Joke about anti-Witch Films
I'm Not a Broom. So What's with the Closet?
March 10th. 2013 ...
Top Ten Stupid Things I Did as a New Pagan: Part 3
Hunting for the Real Witch in Film
The Collective Shadow
Lies - The Opposite of Truth
March 3rd. 2013 ...
Grounding and Releasing Negative Energy
A Patchwork of Magick
February 24th. 2013 ...
Top Ten Stupid Mistakes I Made as a New Pagan (Part Two)
February 17th. 2013 ...
Top Ten Stupid Mistakes I made as a New Pagan... Part One
Gardening with Crystal Energies
A Call from the Ancestors
Moon Musings, Planetary Preponderances and Black Water Snakes
February 10th. 2013 ...
We Are the Weirdos, Mister: A Completely Uncool Story of Origin
February 3rd. 2013 ...
"I'll Grind Your Bones to Make my Bread": Pagans and Animal Husbandry
The Role of Contemporary Culture in Magic
A Pagan Response to Endangered Earth
The Great Mother's Gift, Heinlein, and the Nature of Squirrels
13 Keys: The Glory of Hod
January 27th. 2013 ...
Why We Do Need Wicca
The Cosmos In the Coffee Shop
On Travel Spirituality and Magick
January 20th. 2013 ...
Beloved Backs and How to Save Them
Building or Burning Bridges?
Plants, Magic and Intuition
Plagiarism - How It Harms Our Community
January 13th. 2013 ...
Ramblings of a Pagan Guy: Stupid Clichés
The Magick and Power of Words
Aging Is Not Easy
The Riddle of Who We Are?
January 6th. 2013 ...
Wicca v Witchcraft
A Witch in the Closet
How Many People Can You Fit Under An Umbrella?
Gut Hunches, Mouse Dreams, and Pinkie Sense
December 30th. 2012 ...
Ritual "Cheat Sheet" Bracelet
Magick is All Around Us
Confessions of a Living Satyr
A Tiny Bit of Belly Dance History
December 23rd. 2012 ...
The Warrior Goddess and You.
World Change: A Message from Greece
What's the Meaning of Life, Anyway?
My Brother's Keeper
December 16th. 2012 ...
Keeping Christ in Xmas
Love is the Law
Listen to Your Heart's Wisdom
NOTE: For a complete list of articles related to this chapter... Visit the Main Index FOR this section.
Divinity Coven Beliefs and Principles on Wicca
Article ID: 14447
Age Group: Adult
Days Up: 698
Times Read: 2,004
RSS Views: 60,336
Author: Lady Shadowe
Posted: June 26th. 2011
Times Viewed: 2,004
Hey all! Some of you have been inquiring with me regarding what the Wiccan Religion is all about, and if I could share what I know about it. As the founder of our current coven, I can say that first off it isn't a religion per se, but more a way of life using creative spiritual expression based on peace, love, creativity and individuality. Traditional Wicca is generally viewed as a kind of natural, humane appreciation/worship of all things earthly, though I’d like to use the term 'worship’ loosely here since we don't believe in 'worshipping' anything, only respecting and embracing life and all its gifts within it. You couldn't conjure a more peaceful and logical spiritual way of life, personally!
Because there is no one particular holy book that codifies strict rules governing what you can and can‘t do, there are no required tithes, no sacrificial acts, or forced holidays in which you must dress up and put on a show for God. Rather it is a religion, one that forces you to independently think for yourself. Wicca requires inner exploration, lots of thought and expression, a bit of creativity, and self-assurance. Essentially regularly appreciating all things in and out of your physical world is simple in theory, but in reality, most people in the modern, stressed world find that quite difficult.
Wicca has one 'golden rule' if you will: and brace yourselves! It is quite contrary to what most of you have probably been taught! Ready? It is only a six-word creed: “harm none, do what thou wilt”. Sounds pretty easy right? Well we Wiccans, who are much more collectively conscious than you would presume us to be, actually have a pretty easy time beginning each day by carefully and constantly reviewing all implications of our actions. We avoid at all costs behaviors of domination, manipulation, and control of others’ will, (hummm, sounds chillingly opposite of most religions today!) yet we Wiccans are as proactive and giving, and community oriented as your average congregation. We just do it with unconditional love and without stipulations and regulations. :)
So what goes on in a typical ‘coven meeting’ or an Esbat, or a ritual you might ask? Well, we aren't in it for the moon tan, but I am happy to report it is the most enlightening and beautiful camaraderie ever. We men and women come together and harmoniously drink tea, talk, share and heal deep concerns. We drum, we meditate, yes, we light candles and burn wonderful smelling oils and incense. I hate to break it to you but we don’t kill animals or have orgies at a bonfire, (We save the orgies for the Christian holidays. Ha-ha!) We don’t feed trees chocolate, or send evil hexes to our obnoxious neighbors. We are all about one thing: collectively raising a positive, loving, peaceful vibe both for our beloved brothers and sisters, our earth, and everyone around us. All this because one day we all just decided to; no one recruited us, shamed us into it, guilted us there, or made us fearful that if we didn’t do it, the ‘devil’ would be waiting. Soooo, while we are on the subject…
Wicca is in no way associated with the conjuring of demons or using "evil spirits" for any purpose what-so-ever. Witches are neither extensions nor friends, with Mr. 'Lucifer or Satan' himself. We do not even believe in such an entity or a physical place called "Hell". That is simply an ignorant view held by those who do not understand Paganism, the symbols of, or the idea of Wicca and the associated practice of magic.
Magic is the simple act of mental intention; the result of cause and effect used with the Law of Attraction. The Law of Attraction states that what you WILL, what you THINK about, what you DESIRE, manifests through your thoughts and actions. Everything in which you see in the physical world first began as a simple thought, a vibration. Thought and energy leads to action and action leads to manifestation, this is proven science. The power of intention is quite influential, and when intention is magnified through meditation, concentration, and strong intent, that's when magic happens! When one is in a calm yet determined state of mind, the more (and more frequently) you concentrate and focus your energy on something the more effectively it manifests in your life. Just as you put your mind to learning math, languages, skills, sports, or when you challenge yourself, the more effective your results become; hence the phrase 'you use it or you lose it.'
You mean witches don’t cast evil spells? You mean Christians don’t damn non-believers to hell? They sound equally evil to me! Ok, but yes, I'm sure SOME witches do cast evil spells, but they aren't supposed to… just like Christians aren't supposed to be going out and getting drunk and watching porn but some do anyhow because their interpretation of sinning and saving is that they will be forgiven no matter what.
Religion and life experiences are what you choose them to be, and no, I don't choose evil spellage. So to define “magic spells”.. they are, as with any ritual and any belief, at the mercy and perception of the believer. Spells are really just thoughts put into a faith-based manifestation, something that all of us do every day! You could say hoping for a job, visualizing a perfect flight, or even wishing on a candle on a birthday cake is the most basic of magic spells. Words with powerfully concentrated thoughts often align energy vibrations in the universe to be manipulated for a particular cause; it’s called the ‘law of attraction’. This is also essentially prayer, except that those who pray are asking Gog or an angel to manipulate outcomes for them.
The so-called magic that everyone fears lies in two concerns: the ritualistic aspect and the black arts. We already covered what Wiccans do in ritual, but as for the black arts, something we are NOT associated with, this is also quite simple. Just as one can pray to God for guidance or direction or for healing, or go into a meditation with positive intentions, someone could equally use a negative mind to manipulate bad circumstances, such as wishing hurt or revenge on others. We all know a few negative people or two, and quite frankly, negative people produce negative results whether they are practicing magic or going to church. When one focuses on the negative, one only attracts more of that to him/herself. So see, a true ’devil worshipper’ most likely doesn’t even know he is one because the result is the same! He gets what he puts out, and since we Wiccans believe the closest thing to a “devil” is our ego, well then, you can understand you need not fear a Wiccan. Fear your pissed off neighbor!
We Wiccans also work with scientific ideas of spirituality, combining logic with faith in an equal balance, which even gives us more credibility than you ever knew, huh? With all that said, this is the list of principle beliefs that I wrote out for our coven last year. These are based on our own interpretations, education, and understanding of both traditional Wicca and our independently sought and sifted spirituality. Enjoy!
1. We believe in a higher intelligence, a Living Spirit, which manifests Itself in and through all creation, but is not absorbed by Its creation. We believe this living spirit resides within us and that we experience this “higher self” to the degree that we become conscious of it. We identify in this world as metaphysical and spiritual beings living, learning, evolving, and experiencing life in a physical world.
2. We see “spirituality” and religion as we personally wish to define and express it, through magical blessings, nature, wisdom, meditation, celebration, prayer, ritual, bonding, understanding, and heightened awareness, etc. In each of us lies our very own truth and divinity to be defined uniquely and individually. We acknowledge a depth of power and intelligence far greater than apparent to the average person because it is far greater than ordinary indeed, but this power is also everyone's potential to share and have, not just ours. We believe in the eternal goodness, the eternal loving kindness and the eternal giving-ness of life to all. We believe that God is personal to all who feel this Indwelling Presence.
3. We conceive of the Creative Power in the universe as manifesting through polarity – as masculine and feminine – and that this same Creative Power lies in all people and functions through the interaction of the masculine and the feminine. We value neither above the other, knowing each to be in harmony with the other.
4. We recognize the many layers of the outer and inner worlds, seen and unseen. Also known as the Spiritual World, the paranormal, supernatural, the miracle plane, the Collective Unconsciousness, the infinite time continuum, guardian angels, the Inner Planes etc. We neglect neither dimension for the other, seeing all as necessary for our fulfillment and understanding that there is more to our physical world than what we can just see, feel, touch, taste, and hear.
5. We do not recognize any authoritarian hierarchy, but do honor those who teach, respect those who share their greater knowledge and wisdom, and acknowledge those who have courageously given of themselves in spiritual leadership.
6. We shall freely and openly practice rites as we please, in solitary or together, to attune ourselves with the natural rhythm of life forces in order to bring our lives more harmony and happiness. These natural “life forces” can be anything of nature such as the tides, the wind, storms, the rain, the night, the day, the sun, the seasons, and/or the phases of the Moon. The universal intelligence knows no boundaries or limits, as all of mother earth’s forces are equally influential and capable of bringing us magical harmony.
7. We recognize that our intelligence gives us a unique responsibility toward our environment and other people in it. We seek to live in harmony with nature in ecological balance offering fulfillment to life and consciousness, “what we borrow, we shall return.” We seek NOT to deny or judge others or their freedom to define their ways of religious practice and belief; just as we relish in our freedom to practice belief and spirituality they way we wish to do so. We do not accept the concept of absolute evil, nor do we worship nor acknowledge any entity known as ‘Satan’ or ‘the Devil.’ We do believe there are many types of energies on all planes and not all of them are perfectly loving, many souls and energies are simply at a different level of evolution than we, some on lower vibrations, others on higher, we must respect all forms of life energy and do our best to focus on the energy vibrations we wish to access and send the lower energies love, understanding, and healing.
8. We believe in the affirmation and fulfillment of life in a continuation of evolution and development of consciousness, giving meaning to the Universe we know and our personal role within it. We believe in the incarnation of spirit, that energy never dies, only transforms itself, and seeks to transform itself so it can know, experience, understand, express, and evolve itself. There are no ‘requirements’ for our lives other than what we wish to experience and to the degree that we wish to do so.
9. We believe that the Universal Spirit operates through the Universal Mind, unto each one of us eternally, through love and perfection, through non-judgment, through the law of attraction, and that we can connect into our true, Godly selves at anytime we choose. As we ARE extensions of God and Goddesses and our spirit-mind-self shall transcend all limits, time, matter, and space. We are surrounded by this Creative Mind which receives the direct impress of our thought and acts upon it as we wish. We believe in the healing of the sick through the Power of this Mind. We believe in the control of conditions through the Power of this Mind. ;e believe in our own soul, our own spirit, our own choices, and our own destiny, and the only judgment we will ever suffer is that of our own, there is no judgment by our loving ‘God Mind.’ We are already One with that mind and all of the intelligence that has created everything. So may it be; blessed be!
Now, who wants to sign up? We will need 20% of your income and a sworn affidavit. HA! Just kidding!
-Love to all, Elise
Copyright: Elise Maurine, 2010
Location: New York, New York
Author's Profile: To learn more about Lady Shadowe - Click HERE
Other Listings: To view ALL of my listings: Click HERE
Email Lady Shadowe... (Yes! I have opted to receive invites to Pagan events, groups, and commercial sales)
Web Site Content (including: text - graphics - html - look & feel)
Copyright 1997-2013 The Witches' Voice Inc. All rights reserved
Note: Authors & Artists retain the copyright for their work(s) on this website.
Unauthorized reproduction without prior permission is a violation of copyright laws.
Website structure, evolution and php coding by Fritz Jung on a Macintosh G5.
Any and all personal political opinions expressed in the public listing sections (including, but not restricted to, personals, events, groups, shops, Wrenâ€™s Nest, etc.) are solely those of the author(s) and do not reflect the opinion of The Witchesâ€™ Voice, Inc. TWV is a nonprofit, nonpartisan educational organization.
Sponsorship: Visit the Witches' Voice Sponsor Page for info on how you
can help support this Community Resource. Donations ARE Tax Deductible.
The Witches' Voice carries a 501(c)(3) certificate and a Federal Tax ID.
Mail Us: The Witches' Voice Inc., P.O. Box 341018, Tampa, Florida 33694-1018 U.S.A.
of The World
NOTE: The essay on this page contains the writings and opinions of the listed author(s) and is not necessarily shared or endorsed by the Witches' Voice inc.
The Witches' Voice does not verify or attest to the historical accuracy contained in the content of this essay.
All WitchVox essays contain a valid email address, feel free to send your comments, thoughts or concerns directly to the listed author(s).