Page: Profile: Poetry
||Total Views: 10,991,207
VxPoem ID: 25786
Posted: November 26th. 2006 3:25:43 AM
Famous People with Diabetes
Age Group: Adult
This is from a Diabetes site that I blog on sometimes! I just thought that some might like to see this list!
By David Edelman on Thursday, January 5, 2006
Filed under Resources
Diabetes is a pain, but it doesn't have to stop you from achieving your greatest ambitions. Here are some people with diabetes that have risen to the very top of their respective fields. If you have someone to add, please post a link in the comments!
· Jack Benny, '50s television host
· Halle Berry
· Wilford Brimley, of television and films, "Cocoon" and "The Firm"
· Delta Burke, of television's "Designing Women"
· James Cagney, producer, director and actor
· Nell Carter, of the television show "Gimme a Break"
· Dale Evans, actress, singer and wife of Roy Rogers
· Stephen Furst, actor on the television shows "St. Elsewhere" and "Babylon 5"
· Jackie Gleason, funny star of "The Honeymooners"
· Gordon Jump, actor on "WKRP in Cincinnati"
· Mabel King, actress who played Mama on "What's Happening"
· Marcello Mastroianni, actor who appeared in 142 films
· Jerry Mathers, actor of "Leave It To Beaver" fame
· Mary Tyler Moore, actress and star of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show". Read her Larry King interview where she discusses her experience with diabetes.
· Richard Mulligan, actor on the television show "Empty Nest"
· Minnie Pearl, entertainer, actress on the variety show "Hee Haw"
· Aida Turturro, plays Tony's sister on the Sopranos
· Ehster Rolle, actress on the TV Show "Good Times"
· George C. Scott, Academy Award-winning actor
· Jean Smart, actress on "Designing Women"
· Kate Smith, singer, actress who sang "God Bless America"
· Spencer Tracy, famous leading man of Hollywood movies
· Mae West, actress
· Jane Wyman, actress on "Falcon Crest"
· Yuri Andropov, former premier of Soviet Union
· Menachem Begin, Israeli prime minister
· Lucille B. Chapman, a five-time Menominee Indian tribal chairwoman
· James Farmer, civil rights pioneer
· Mikhail Gorbachev, former Soviet premier
· Janet Jagan, president of Guyana
· Fiorello LaGuardia, New York mayor and the airport's namesake
· Winnie Mandela, South African anti-apartheid leader
· Gen. Augusto Pinochet, the infamous Chilean dictator
· Anwar Sadat, Egyptian leader
· James Conkling, founder of The National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences
· Bill and John Davidson, heads of Harley Davidson motorcycles
· Tom Foster, former head of Foster Poultry Farms
· W.L. Gherra, of Payless Drugs
· Howard Hughes, industrialist
· Ray Kroc, founder of McDonald's fast food restaurants
· Nat Adderley, jazz trumpeter
· Ray Anderson, jazz trombonist
· Hoyt Axton, folksy baritone, songwriter and actor
· Syd Barrett, of the rock group Pink Floyd
· Johnny Cash, legendary country singer, known as "the man in black"
· Carol Channing, Tony Award-winning singer/actress in "Hello Dolly"
· Mark Collie, contemporary country star
· David Crosby, member of The Byrds and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
· Miles Davis, legendary jazz great
· Freddy Fender, actor and country singer
· Ella Fitzgerald, jazz vocalist
· Mick Fleetwood, singer in rock band Fleetwood Mac
· Jerry Garcia, lead singer of The Grateful Dead
· Dizzy Gillespie, jazz trumpeter
· Mahalia Jackson, singer
· Waylon Jennings, country singer
· B.B. King, rhythm and blues star
· Patti LaBelle, pop singer
· Peggy Lee, '50s songster
· Tommy Lee, of heavy metal band Motley Crue
· Andrew Lloyd Webber, Broadway composer
· Meat Loaf, singer
· Bret Michaels, lead singer of the rock group Poison
· The Pump Girls
· Morris Braunstein, scientist
· Thomas Edison, inventor
· Albert Ellis, psychologist, rational emotive therapy
· Cynthia Ice, developer of Lotus software
· George Minot, first person with diabetes to receive Nobel Prize in medicine
· Lois Jovanovic-Peterson, scientist, endocrinologist, author of "Diabetic Women"
· Arthur Ashe, tennis legend
· Walter Barnes, former Philadelphia Eagle turned actor
· Ayden Byle, runner
· Bobby Clarke, hockey player for the Philadelphia Flyers
· Ty Cobb, baseball player for the Detroit Tigers
· Scott Coleman, first man with diabetes to swim the English Channel
· Buster Douglas, boxer
· Kenny Duckett, football player for the New Orleans Saints
· Chris Dudley, New York Knicks basketball player
· Del Ennis, baseball player
· Curt Frasier, hockey player for the Chicago Black Hawks
· Bill Gullickson, pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds
· Gary Hall, Olympic gold medalist in swimming
· Jonathon Hayes, tight end for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Kansas City Chiefs
· Catfish Hunter, pitcher for the Oakland A's and the New York Yankees
· Jason Johnson, pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles
· Billie Jean King, tennis player
· Ed Kranepool, baseball player with the New York Mets
· Kelli Kuehne, LPGA golfer who wears a pump on the golf course
· Jay Leeuwenburg, offensive tackle for the Cincinnati Bengals
· Calvin Muhammed, football player for the Washington Redskins
· Jackie Robinson, baseball star who broke the color barrier in the Major Leagues
· Sugar Ray Robinson, boxer
· Ron Santo, third basemen for the Chicago Cubs
· Art Shell, NFL player and coach
· Michael Sinclair, defensive end for the Seattle Seahawks
· Bill Talbert, hall of fame tennis player
· Jersey Joe Walcott, boxer
· Wade Wilson, NFL quarterback
· Richard Bartlett, film
· June Bierman, author of books on diabetes
· Fran Carpentier, editor of Parade magazine
· Sylvia Chase, ABC News Reporter
· Ernest Hemingway - 20th Century Novelist. Born on July 21, 1899, Ernest Hemingway grew up to become one of the greatest novelist of the 20th century. He wrote such works as The Sun Also Rise, 1926; A Farewell to Arms, 1929; and For Whom the Bell Tolls, 1940 just to name a few. He also received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1954.
· Walt Kelly, animator and Disney founder
· Mario Puzo, author of "The Godfather"
· Anne Rice, "Interview With a Vampire" author
· H.G. Wells, writer, "The Invisible Man"
Sources: Angela Rose, Diabetes Digest, Diabetes Health Magazine
· Have quesions? Ask in the forum!
· 2 comments
I know another sports figure that can be added to this list. Scott Verplank, a golfer on the PGA tour and a member of the recent Ryder Cup team for America, is a type 1 diabetic. For reference, see the following link: http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read, 1038, 4476.html
Scratch at October 1, 2006 12:14 PM
You have not got Steve Redgrave on your list- 5 times olympic gold medallist and type 1 diabetic
Author's Notes: Posted by ladykelshan
Posted on Sunday, November 26th, 2006
http://www.creativemedicalid.com (This one is a fav' on a site that I write on!)
Medical alert jewelry
Author's Location: Washington, Washington DC
More Poems: Ladykelshan has posted 485 additional poems- View them?
Author's Profile: To learn more about Ladykelshan - Click HERE
Contact Me Via Email...
Email Invites Note: No, I have not opted to receive Pagan Invites! Please don't send me anonymous invites to groups, sales and events.
Disclaimer: The Witches' Voice inc does not verify the accuracy of the details stated in this listing, nor do we vouch for the value of the goods or services presented here... As with all contacts and financial dealings in cyberspace, we encourage you to use caution and wisdom in your dealings with strangers.
Political Statements: Any and all personal political opinions expressed in the public listing sections (including, but not restricted to, personals, events, groups, shops, Wren's Nest, etc.) are solely those of the author(s) and do not reflect the opinion of The Witches' Voice, Inc. TWV is a non-profit, non-partisan educational organization.
State/Country flags created by 3dflags.com and are used with permission
Web Site Content (including: text - graphics - html - look & feel)
Copyright 1997-2014 The Witches' Voice Inc. All rights reserved
Note: Authors & Artists retain the copyright for their work(s) on this website.
Unauthorized reproduction without prior permission is a violation of copyright laws.
Website structure, evolution and php coding by Fritz Jung on a Macintosh G5.
Any and all personal political opinions expressed in the public listing sections (including, but not restricted to, personals, events, groups, shops, Wrenâ€™s Nest, etc.) are solely those of the author(s) and do not reflect the opinion of The Witchesâ€™ Voice, Inc. TWV is a nonprofit, nonpartisan educational organization.
Sponsorship: Visit the Witches' Voice Sponsor Page for info on how you
can help support this Community Resource. Donations ARE Tax Deductible.
The Witches' Voice carries a 501(c)(3) certificate and a Federal Tax ID.
Mail Us: The Witches' Voice Inc., P.O. Box 341018, Tampa, Florida 33694-1018 U.S.A.